Comforting Winter Vegetable Soup
- 2 leeks (I use the white part and a bit of the green, which is quite fragrant)
- 1 sweet potato
- 4 carrots
- 1 can of coconut milk (I prefer mine light – same taste, less fat)
- Slivered almonds (may be substituted with other nuts or seeds, such as flaxseed, pine nuts or walnuts, for example)
- Salt, pepper, curry
TIPS: You can substitute coconut milk with chicken or vegetable broth, or even mushroom sauce powder.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- In the meantime, peel vegetables and cut into fairly large pieces.
- Cook vegetables in pot for about 20 minutes, until quite tender.
- Adjust volume of water in pot according to desired thickness of soup. For a creamier texture, remove as much cooking water as possible and set aside in a saucepan. You can add it back as needed later. This water can also be preserved as an excellent homemade vegetable broth for use in other recipes.
- Mix everything with a blender or food processor.
- Season with salt, pepper and a dash of curry powder, then add coconut milk to taste.
- Mix everything.
- Heat a skillet without adding any fatty substance. Once skillet is thoroughly hot, toss slivered almonds until golden (or light brown, if preferred). Keep a close eye on them, as they can quickly burn and they continue to cook when removed from heat.
- Serve in soup bowls and garnish with almonds.
Discover more delicious recipes on the Lolë Blog 🙂