It was a joyful experience, watching the Oscars Red Carpet with a dozen girls and 2 straight guys (kudos boys, to your courage for sitting with us until midnight)! Although this 2013, the Red Carpet was as predictable as the Oscars winners.
From the get go, I thought it would be a season of black-and-white, like on the runways around the world. But then I remembered, you don’t wear black, because you will be lost amongst photographers, journalists and assistants. You also want to avoid red, so as not to blend into the carpet itself… And when I saw the army of glitzy gold and silver sequins and beading dresses led by Jessica Chastain rolling down the red carpet, I was back to old time Hollywood glamour.
I was surprised by the dress choices of the most acclaimed Dior Haute Couture by Ralph Simmons. Among those stunning dresses shown on the Dior catwalk, Jennifer Lawrence’s dress seemed to belong more on the wedding alley than the red carpet. She will be a young and fresh new face for Dior, replacing Marion Cortillard, an editorial choice that will surely take the brand to a new level. Charlize Theron, the muse of Dior J’adore perfume was striking as usual with a new hair cropped and in a peplum/mermaid gown.
I am still trying to understand the conventional choice of Kristen Steward’s dress, she is usually a risk taker and I would think Balenciaga was a natural choice, as she is all over its magazine ads.
Overall I saw some pastel pink, white, red, a mist of black-and-white and a lot of sequins and beads in gold and silver mermaid and train-trailing gowns, dominating the Oscars Red Carpet. Only a select few stood out of the crown. Here’s my top 5:
5. Samantha Barks, in Valentino, with Forevermark jewels. Less is more when you are naturally elegant and confident
4. Zoe Saldana, in Alexis Mabille, with Neil Lane jewels. A mordern’s take on a classic mermaid dress.
3. Jessica Chastain, in custom Giorgio Armani, with Harry Winston jewels. Marilyn Monroe in red, the bead work’s on this dress is a chef-d’oeuvre on itself.
2. Anne Hathaway, in Prada, with Tiffany & Co. jewels. Mordern Elegance at its best.
1. Charlize Theron, in Dior Haute Couture, with Harry Winston jewels. Simply the best.
A special mention to the elegance and the classiness of Queen Latifah and Octavia Spencer, it’s delightful to see such sophistication!